All EverQuest Next players will be on US SOE Servers

Written by Feldon on . Posted in EverQuest Next, EverQuest Next Landmark, International (Pro7Sat1)

From Massively:

Amid all of the revelry surrounding EverQuest Next’s announcement are a few grumpy faces concerned that SOE was looking to region lock the upcoming title. President John Smedley took to Twitter to address the confusion.

So there you have it: We will soon be one happy family with an infectious case of the voxels.

Trackback from your site.

Comments (20)

• Antonia Bayles bit on the side

That’s great news, as it was a worry EQN would be region locked.

Still disappointed as a Brit that I have to use a German company who doesn’t have the best of track records in terms of gaming, and one whose communications are littered with ‘broken’ English. Hopefully, they will iron that out in the months ahead.

• sompet

SOE All-access subscription doesn’t cover games passed to ProSieben, so we have to pay full price to both companies if we want to play games from both company, unlike US players.
      SOE and ProSieben accounts have sepatate StationCash and SevenCash, there are no transfer. For example we cannot spend the monthly 500SC on a ProSeieben game, unlike a US player.
      IMO, this news is far from great. We have to pay more to get less…

• Antonia Bayles bit on the side

My ‘Great news’ comment was with reference to EQ Next not being region locked as it was a worry it could be the case, just like it was for EQ2 last year.

I’m not over the moon about PSS1 at all though. In fact I’ve just had an email from them now entirely in German. I’m English, and I don’t see why I should have to be dealing with this German company for EQN. And if I’m forced to, I don’t want to have to learn to speak German, or put up with broken English, which is abysmal from that which I have witnessed so far. Totally unacceptable for a corporate entity as big as PSS1. Brits shouldn’t have been lumped in with PSS1. They should have found another entity to handle the UK or left the UK with SOE.

• Pipsissiwa

I agree. If we put aside all the bad stuff we know about PSS1 as a company for a moment. I can see that potentially having a Europe based company handling Euro players could benefit said players – primarily at least regarding language/localisation.

Those of us in the UK, however, on the whole speak English, the same (or close enough ;-) ) as the US. We are generally closer in culture/language etc to the US than to mainland Europe in many, many ways (not always a good thing but that is another discussion). Thus UK players will get all the bad stuff AND none of the possible benefits apply to us.

• sompet

I don’t think PSS1 will ever provide Hungarian language support or translation or advertisements. I don’t see any benefit from a German company over a US company. Not even being in the same time zone because prime playtimes in the evening and on the weekends are outside of usual business hours.

• Pipsissiwa

Aye, that’s the other big issue – Europe has so many languages I doubt very much that PSS1 will offer localised support in most of them – French, German, Italian, Spanish at best probably. An improvement from SOE for those people (maybe), but as you say, what about all the other countries/languages. PSS1 won’t be any better/worse than SOE for them.

I like being in a different timezone to the US – it means I can come home from work to play in the evening and know that SOE is in office hours so someone will be there if I need them. Given PSS1′s current setup, when I am playing, they will have all gone home.

• Mod

Not sure the title of the news post is completely accurate though, think it was meant that everyone would be on SOE controlled servers not necessarily US servers.

• Arfa

although that is great news, what about the accounts themselves that we already have in good standing with SOE will we be able to grandfather anything if we have to create a new account? will we be able to reserve name that some would have had from as far back as 1999, sounds like im being forced to prosat again for eqn when i have a soe account and have for 14 years

• Mod

Well if it works anything like Planetside 2, then you will be able to continue using your SOE account and not ‘forced’ into a ProSat account.

With Planetside 2, if you were a Planetside 1 player you were also given the option to reserve a character name prior to release. Maybe something like this will also be done with EQN :)

• Tetchy Feely

None of this addresses the problem I have with all this. That is, I have 4 SOE accounts already and the oldest of them is almost 10 years old. To be told I have to now create an account with a company I have little faith and zero respect for is a slap in the face.

• Josgar

This is wonderful news, assuming they aren’t speaking in circles.

• Slambit

yeah, not going to play through P7, either they allow my old soe account or i’ll be sobbing in the corner but stillnot playing :)

• viperx

I personally prefer to have atleast one server that is US/Canada only since i have had bad experiences in some games with communities being destroyed by players from other regions. Plus time zone differences can cause problems with rally calls.

• Brax

And what about AllAccess, do I have to pay two times if I want to have All Access + EQN?

• Varakkys

Great news? It’s the worst news possible. No one in Europe wants to deal with Proseiben. No one. I wouldn’t trust them with a bag of jelly beans, nevermind my credit card and other personal details.

Despite being someone who’s never really gotten into EQ, I’ve been following this whole PSS1 debacle since the beginning. Even so, I was tremendously excited at the sound of EQN and Landmark, but I won’t ever give so much as a penny to PSS1.

Time and again SOE have ‘assured’ their EU customers how much they care, how much they’re listening. Well actions speak louder than words, and you don’t sell people you care about off to the highest bidder.

• Thoddy

The title ist not correct. All players will be on SOE-servers, not US-servers. There will be location based servers as usual.

• Pipsissiwa

I’d have been very surprised if they had made servers region locked after the outcry over trying that with EQ2. EQNext may be a new game but SOE are still gonna hope existing EQ/EQ2 players will play it and want to be with friends/guildies.

The All-Access thing sucks, plus PSS1′s idea of exchange rates means that people subbing from Europe (at least from UK paying in GBP which is my point of reference as that’s where I am) for EQ2 through PSS1 pay more that those subbing through SOE.

Some CS staff who have fluent (technical especially) English, or native speakers would be a start to improve PSS1. Trying to explain a tech issue to someone with English as a second language isn’t my idea of fun. I see so many people trying to do it on their forums and I feel desperately sorry for them. CS may well be better (as Smed claims) if English isn’t your first language, but those of us in UK or who are otherwise fluent in English, then US-based CS is always easier.

With the need for a PSS1 account just because I live in Europe, despite having an 11 year old SOE account in good standing through which I can sub to everything else, EQNext is of no interest any more.
    PSS1 are going to have to go above and beyond if they want to prove they aren’t going to handle EQNext the same way they do everything else they have, including other SOE games. This makes me a sad rat.

• Lempo Of Everfrost

If you are from the Eu or UK you will go through Prosieben but it will be playing on SOE servers.

— John Smedley (@j_smedley) August 8, 2013

Still after all this time either he is too thick to understand it isn’t an issue of who’s server you play on rather than an issue of the track record and the general consensus about the company that you have to trust with your data, and the less than lackluster record they have already displayed.

• Anatares

SOE can’t say this deal was bad, forced from higher up. In their last year bonus program was probably a point “succeed with P7S1 deal” (and no one thought about the long term implication).
    And isn’t P7S1 IP blocked from US? Good way for P7S1 to keep SOE away, SOE can’t verify the complains, they have to trust P7S1.
    We may need them spoon feed with buzzwords like negative brand recognition, no brand recognition outside Germany.
    The problem I see, if the hardcore player stay away from EQN, the ones that invest hours for creating player made content. Then EQN will be more like browser F2P/P2W games. High player fluctuation, some spending in cash shop. For P7S1 this is ideal, that is their business model, nothing new to learn and investing.
    This is similar to AAA gaming with their broadening the audience. It will be optimal if the hardcore player from EQ2 move over, but maybe they are a calculated loss. Because of the over aging EQ2 community (the hardcore players are the ones that are playing since the start, and they aged with game). With EQN they want to build up a new community that ages with the game.

• Jimmy

Kinda worried as Germans are notorious for censorship guess old habits are hard to let go i guess…Pro7 is know to be extreme bad ,they grab the cash but are not capable of doing the job.
    As much as i like or will like this game i refuse to have any to do with those morons .I will not feeding the Pro7 disaster in any shape or form .