EQNext Job Opening: Senior Gameplay Engineer

Written by Feldon on . Posted in EverQuest Next

From JobMonkey Jobs:

Position: Senior Gameplay Engineer – EverQuest Next
Location: San Diego, CA

We’re hard at work creating the next EverQuest, but this isn’t just another version of the same old MMO model. We’re questioning all assumptions and re-architecting the ideas of what an MMO is and how it should be played. Evolutionary design is not what we’re shooting for here. You have never seen nor played an MMO anything like the one we’re building now, and we want you to help us craft it.

SOE has been pushing boundaries for many years, from the original EverQuest, to Star Wars Galaxies, to Planetside, figuring out what works and doesn’t work, and we’ve never been a company to just clone and hone.

And this new EverQuest is special. You want to be a part of this project.

REQUIREMENTS:

• Bachelors degree preferably in a tech field or equal experience
  • 5+ years’ hands on coding in C/C++
  • Focused Gameplay development on at least one shipped title

PLUSES include:

• Experience in MMO development or a passion for playing them
  • Client/Server programming experience

This is a hard working, smart and dedicated team, facing tight deadlines and high expectations. This highly collaborative group depends on effective communication as well as the successful presentation of solutions while being open to feedback from others.

To apply please visit http://www.soe.com/careers

We are Sony Online Entertainment LLC (SOE). We are a recognized worldwide leader in massively multiplayer online games and known for our blockbuster franchise EverQuest®. EverQuest Next will be the game changer for SOE.

Trackback from your site.

Comments (20)

• Mingler

I heard the budget is to low to be even close to a “game changer”

• Sole

From SWG, SoE Proved no one MMO-Developer can Destroy better then SoE, they know how to hurt their Customer very well. And Selling EU-Customers to Pro7 is th second big mistake they make.

• Seliri

@Mingler, where hearest thou this? n_n

• Magar

Funny how all their external postings for EQNext are for Senior positions. It’s almost like they don’t feel the people working for them now are good enough. Either that, or their other games are such a mess that the people who meet the qualifications can’t be spared to move into the newer project. Either way, while I’ll certainly try the game when it comes out (I have 25150 SC sitting there doing nothing) who knows if it’ll stick? Stripping the ability to buy subs and expansions with SC really poisoned me against returning to the game after my current vacation, and from my logon this last weekend, the great majority of my friends seem to have agreed.

• Chuina

The eq2 community is old and bitter. SOE seems to be doing everything right with Planetside 2 and so I have hope for EQNext.

• Thomas

Such negativism! I personally still love EQ2. I have been playing EQ2 since its launch. I check out new MMOs, but none have the depth nor the breadth of EQ2. They are fun for a little while, but then they get dull.
    I look forward to what Sony is doing with Next, but even if I play it, I do not expect to quit playing EQ2.

• Feldon

SOE is certainly handling Planetside 2 very well. Smedley’s tweets and forum posts about it are refreshingly truthful and open to player feedback.

Hopefully it bodes well for EQNext.

• badcat

Is rothgar still on the project. I tried the beta for planetside 2 it is different. Better than dcuo. EQNext one has to wonder what it is gong to be since the basicly trashed what they had and restarted the project over.

• Stabby McStabbster

The problem is Smed. A company like Sony needs to look at customers like they are their bread and butter. Smed seems to think he’s doing us a favor by existing. Sony needs to “nerfbat” all SOE leadership and replace it with more competent people that understand business-customer relationships.

• Nrgy

Hiring people at the ‘Senior’ level only weeds out the college kids and fly-by-night wantabe programmers. It doesn’t mean much outside of experience and salary. I’ve taken quite a few jobs where I was a ‘Senior’ programmer on day #1. In my current shop, which is fairly small, we have 6 ‘Senior’ application developers and zero junior ones and it works just fine.

• Aelious

I would take any information about budgets or project scrapping and throw it in the garbage. It’s unverified and is based on one forum post without a source. Besides, big budgets don’t = good games as we’ve seen lol.

SoE is saying all the right things regarding EQN. We know it will have some new tech (SoEMote), a great looking engine, and sounds to be more of an open-ended sandbox type game with player driven content. I’m hope something is revealed at Live.

• Noctew

Rothgar is still on Planetside 2. IMO the fact that EQNext was able to loan out their lead programmer means that a) they were desparate to get their best people on Planetside 2 to make the launch a success (get the server code wrong or not optimized enouth in a FPS means you will fail miserably) or b) they are still working on EQNext’s design and don’t need a big programming team yet

• Seffrid

“We are a recognized worldwide leader in massively multiplayer online games”

Once yes, when there was very little in the way of competition. Not these days. They’re in danger of becoming a niche developer catering to the US market only.

SOE’s trouble is that they have always been good at developing games but crap at running them and even worse at taking care of their customers. They’ve always expected loyalty from their players but never offered it in return, and never more so than now.

• Flatley

What Mr. Seffrid just said.

I’m so bored with hearing the complete bollocks coming out of SOE at the moment. If you ain’t American, you don’t matter. USA all the way. Etc. until my eyes bleed (directed at SOE/Sony, natch, not American people – just to clarify in case this is misleading).

And you know, I haven’t logged on in two weeks. Can’t be arsed. The big fat cancel is on its way; I can’t believe I’ve held out this long.

• Whilhelmina

*opens the door leading out to Flatley*

Smedley tweets stuff, but I’ll believe his “stuff” when I see it. I have now 0 confidence for SoE and it somehows makes me sad. I loved EQ2, I had a great time there, I think no game was as complex as EQ2 but EQ (huge background, all kind of contents for all kind of players, huge world, huge choice of classes and races). Now I’m looking at my cut off date with sadness and hoping that TESO will bring the same kind of content.

But really, all those “you’ve never seen an MMO like that” and such, without giving a single drop of actual infos are starting to bother me. Or would if I would have considered staying with SoE. I wonder. Will it be an interesting MMO? What will they change? Will it really be new, and more to the point, will it be interesting? I’m not sure at all.

• Barral

I love eq2 when it came out. You did not to worry about aa and pestiage points. Get to 10 and find the best gear and going hunting. Wf and battleground put mess into things and it’s more one sided than the other. It was great back then you had to work for the stuff and now you really don’t have to work at. And crafter’s were a big part of it and now it’s like they retired the crafters. I have 9 nine crafters and love working on them but, there time i think why should I. I think SOE has forgotten thier path.

• Dark

“and we’ve never been a company to just clone and hone.”

We’ll I’ll give them that, normally they just clone and ruin. Smedley is 100% correct though, the industry needs something new and revolutionary, however I don’t foresee Sony delivering with anything fun or even playable. Also their idea of industry changing is quite lacking based off of their recent announcements.

Combine that with the fact that TESO launches before EQ3, with a longer development time, FAR more money behind it, and a powerful reputation to live up to. I would say Sony doesn’t stand a chance at coming out on top this time either, that doesn’t mean the game won’t be successful though.

• TC

The more I read about EQNext, the more I can’t wait for it! I google “eq next news” every day for little nuggets of information.

However, it’s a pity I will likely not be able to try it because I live in England and the more I read about PSS1/Alaplaya, the more wary I am about trusting them with my personal info…

I have my fingers crossed that the deal somehow, by some miracle falls through. It seems to me that SOE and PSS1 are at odds about some things in the PSS1 ToS exposed by the DCUO switchover and it seems to be taking a while for them to come to an agreement, for example, one account per user and remote access to a users PC for “support”.

Here is to hoping they cannot agree and do themselves and us euro players a favour and back out!

• Lungz

Hassle them till we get some decent infos about Next during fanfair, will ya.

• Ebur

if SoE do not the same mistakes like SoE done it by the start of EQ2 i will be happy :)
    (gut ding will weile haben)